Thursday, March 26, 2015

Lesson 9: History and Genealogy Resources-Ancestry Library, Heritage Quest, and Sanborn Maps

1. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to be dead to be listed in AncestryLibrary and can frequently find useful information in the U.S. Phone and Address Directories, 1993-2002. You may even find your marriage license. Search for your own name in AncestryLibrary and report the results.

I found that when I searched for myself with my married name, there where many results that contained "Baker", but then I changed my search to my maiden name, and set the results to exact, and found a record of my marriage license.  

2.  In AncestryLibrary, search for a grandparent or great-grandparent and see if you can locate them in the census.  Report your findings.

I found my grandfather in a census record from 1938. He was 2 years old. The record listed his parents and five of his siblings. It also listed 2 other men, aged 18, and 21 whom I am unfamiliar with. I am assuming that these men were hired hands on the farm. After looking at the original document I found that they are indeed hired hands, one of whom is a relative of a neighboring farm. I also found that my great grandfather owned his home and it was worth $1000 dollars. I found that my great grandfather completed school through the 2nd grade, and my great grandmother through the 8th grade. My great grandfather was born in Russia and great grandmother in North Dakota. 

3.  In AncestryLibrary, type "South Dakota" in the location box and click Search. On the left side of the next screen is a link for Pictures.  Click Pictures, see what's there, and look at one or more. Report your findings. 

I found pictures of professional baseball players that either were born or died in South Dakota. There were also yearbook pictures and many more that could be filtered through. 

4. In HeritageQuest, there are over 28,000 family and local histories in their online historical books.  Search for a place or browse the publications.  Report back on something that interested you.

I looked at "A Brief History of South Dakota", a publication. This book had the table of contents listed on the right hand side, and covered everything from the first white explorers to statehood. 

5. In Sanborn Maps, select South Dakota. Then select your town or a town with which you are familiar. Choose a date. Look at the first page containing the Index. Then navigate around the pages and see what you discover. Try to find a building on the map that is still in use today. Report your findings.

I looked up Sturgis, SD in July of 1923. I found that the Erskine Building is still in use today as county offices. In 1923 it was the high school. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! How cool that you found your marriage license + many family members in the census in AncestryLibrary. It is so interesting to look at the census forms and the info that one can learn.

    Thanks for the great post!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete